|Welcome to Florida's Hometown!
The History of Two Egg, Florida
Long before it was named for that most
famous of breakfast delicacies, the place that
would become Two Egg was at least a spot
on a trail.
Archaeological discoveries in the area tell us
this was once an important hunting and
manufacturing center for Native Americans.
Artifacts recovered from the fields around
Two Egg date back thousands of years to the
archaic period, a time when prehistoric
hunters roamed the vast woods in search of
deer, turkey and other animals, especially
By the time of the American Revolution, both
English and Native American travelers made
steady use of paths that crossed the present
site of Two Egg as they traveled to and from
Ekanachatte ("Red Ground") and Perryman's
Town, two important Lower Creek villages
on the Chattahoochee River.
After the First Seminole War of 1817-1818,
settlers began to drift down into the upper
edges of today's Jackson County. Although
Florida still remained Spanish territory, a
significant community developed along
Spring Creek just north of Campbellton. The
nearest frontier outpost where these settlers
could obtain supplies was Fort Scott, about
ten miles up the Flint River from its
confluence with the Chattahoochee on
today's Lake Seminole. To open
communication with the fort, they chopped a
trail down through the forests. After 1820,
when Isaac Fort established a plantation at
the future Bellamy Bridge site, this path
became known as the Fort Road in his
honor. The road still passes through
Greenwood and Two Egg today.
What is now Two Egg was first settled shortly
before the War Between the States.
Property records indicate that Joseph T.
Michaux filed for ownership of the site of Two
Egg on July 1, 1857. Alfred S. Knowles filed
for the adjoining lands to the east on the
same day. Property filings usually reflected
that the sites had already been occupied for
Although these first settlers did not prosper
in their efforts to establish homes at Two
Egg, others followed with better success.
Slowly a community began to grow at the
By the early 20th century, a business
community began to grow. First there was a
general store and then another. The Allison
company built a saw mill there and the
community soon came to be called Allison in
honor of the family's contributions to its
The name might have lasted had it not been
for the economic disaster of the Great
Depression. Money dried up and jobs
disappeared. Families struggled to survive
and, as local cemeteries attest, hunger,
malnutrition and sickness stalked the land.
By 1930, many local families were living on
little more than pride. Unable to pay for items
they needed in hard cash, they began to
barter and trade with the storekeepers in
Allison for the things they could not do
without. The merchants then sold the farm
products in larger communities, keeping
their own families fed and their businesses
It was a difficult time in American history, but
it produced the Greatest Generation. And it
was the Greatest Generation that gave Two
Egg its name.
There are several versions of the story, most
of them similar in one way or another.
many years ran one of the stores in Two
Egg, is fairly simple. Two young boys came
into the business so often on errands from
their mother to trade two eggs for sugar that
regulars jokingly began calling the
establishment a "two egg store." The name,
according to Mr. Pittman, caught on and was
picked up by traveling salesmen and others
who spread it to nearby towns.
The story may seem light-hearted on the
surface, but at a deeper level it reflects an
effort to put a good face on very hard times.
Many local families then were barely
surviving and at times of the year, when fresh
fruits and vegetables were not available,
sugar provided one of the only available
sources of carbohydrates. Although it is
difficult to conceive in today's era of "low carb"
diets, but carbohydrates are a vital necessity
of life. They provide the body with energy and
help key organs to function. Without them, the
listless state easily recognized in people
who are under nourished.
A little sugar added to the diet each day
provided just enough energy to help
struggling families make it through to the
next day. In other words, two eggs worth of
sugar could make the difference between life
and death among people already living on
the edge of collapse.
Times eventually did begin to improve and
people soon began to use money again
instead of eggs, but the name "Two Egg"
stuck. It appeared on the official highway
map of the State of Florida in 1940 and has
remained there ever since.
This article is excerpted from the longer
history in Dale Cox's book Two Egg, Florida:
A Collection of Ghost Stories, Legends and
by Dale Cox
One of America's most unique communities,
Two Egg has a rich and colorful history.
|Copyright 2009 by Dale Cox